Cambridge 2000: Trinity College: The Avenue
The Avenue connects Queen's Road with the main buildings of
Trinity College. Walking up this at dusk, when it is quiet,
is very pleasant. Unfortunately, in more recent years,
the Avenue is often full of parked cars, especially during
The main row of trees are Large-leaved Lime (Large-leaved
Linden, Tilia platyphyllos). These were planted
in 1948, after a previous row of the trees, planted in
1671-1672, had come to the end of their life.
There is an outer row of trees, which are Wild Cherry
(Prunus avium'Plena'). These were planted in
1987, after a previous set, planted in 1929, were cut
down (those had replaced a row of Plane trees).
In addition to the trees, the Avenue is also known for
its annual display of flowers, first of Crocus (as seen
in the photo), and then later of Daffodil and Tulip.
Other photographs within 200 m: