Cambridge 2000: Histon Road: 312
This is one of the oldest buildings at the northern
end of Histon Road, and also perhaps the grandest in the area.
In peculiarly English style it was built without any south-facing
windows (south is to the right in the photo), but now at least
has a conservatory on the south side.
The house was built for Ebenezer Tredgett and his wife, Sarah Careless.
At the time it was called Providence Villa.
The Tredgetts had a dozen children (one who died in infancy), and they
a garden nursery
on the other side of Histon Road, and a shop in Market Hill.
In 1885 Ebenezer ran away to New Zealand with one of his shop assistants,
Maude Mary Constable, and he changed his name to Edward Turner. They
had one daughter (who died in infancy) and then nine sons.
Other photographs within 100 m: