Cambridge 2000: Trinity College: Great Court: dining hall and Master's Lodge

Description: Trinity College: Great Court: dining hall and Master's Lodge
Date built: 1600s
Architect: Ralph Symons
Trinity College: Great Court: dining hall and Master's Lodge (Ralph Symons) map for Trinity College: Great Court: dining hall and Master's Lodge
Date photograph taken: 06 Apr 2000 (Alternative map: Google map)

Great Court is the most famous court in Cambridge, and is the biggest closed court. From the outside the dining hall, on the left in the photo, could be mistaken for a chapel, as in many other Cambridge colleges. The Master's Lodge is on the right. Part of it has been converted for use by Fellows (senior members of the college).

As in all Cambridge colleges, Fellows are allowed to walk on the grass, but in Great Court this involves having to cross a wide band of cobblestones, as for example can be seen in the left foreground in the photo, and these are painful on the feet.

The fountain dates from 1601-1615 and was rebuilt in 1715.

Other photographs within 100 m: