Cambridge 2000: Brownlow Road: end of

Description: Brownlow Road: end of: greenbelt (NIAB site)
Brownlow Road: end of map for Brownlow Road: end of
Date photograph taken: 23 Apr 2000 (Alternative map: Google map)

The British countryside is transformed in the Spring because of the large amount of oilseed rape (Brassica napus) that is grown. This gives a beautiful carpet of yellow, which provides a perfect scene when combined with a blue sky overhead and green growth underneath. It also has a smell which can be overwhelming.

Another view of the field in winter.

In 2006 the land stretching from Histon Road to Huntingdon Road, inside the Cambridge city boundary, was removed from the greenbelt. This became known as the NIAB site, because NIAB owned the land at the Huntingdon Road end, but much of the land was owned by Chivers, and also by some Cambridge colleges (Christ's, Sidney Sussex and St Catharine's). The field in the photo is near the northern edge of the site.

An outline planning application was submitted in December 2006 for up to 1600 homes.

In 2008, South Cambs District Council approved the use of the adjoining site, over the city boundary, for another 1200 homes. This site became known as NIAB Extra or NIAB II.

In early 2010, building of around 200 dwellings (mostly flats) started on NIAB land directly located on Huntingdon Road, and bordering Whitehouse Lane. The first housing, there, called Kings Court, was finished in 2011. This was not part of the main NIAB site development.

In 2012, for marketing purposes, the main development was renamed Darwin Green.

Infrastructure work for the southern part of the main site started in Spring 2016.

Other photographs within 300 m: