Cambridge 2000: Castle Street: Methodist Church, 19
|Description: Castle Street: Methodist Church, 19|
|Date built: 1914|
|Architect: A.F. Scott|
To the left is a hall, to the right the main church.
The buildings look good but do not stand out as one travels
up Castle Street.
In October 2003 a planning application was made to demolish these
two buildings and replace them with a new church.
Around the same time, in order to prevent the demolition, someone
asked for the buildings to be (Grade II) listed, and they were, so
in 2004 it was decided instead to refurbish the buildings.
The refurbishment was carried out in 2010, with
Freeland Rees Roberts
the architect in charge. Both entrances leading directly onto Castle
Street were blocked, the one on the right with a glass window.
The main entrance was then situated behind a new glass screen
in the area between the two buildings. A spiral staircase was
Other photographs within 100 m: