Cambridge 2000: Lucy Cavendish College: Lady Margaret Road: College House (Torrisdale)

Description: Lucy Cavendish College: Lady Margaret Road: College House (Torrisdale)
Date built: 1883
Lucy Cavendish College: Lady Margaret Road: College House (Torrisdale) map for Lucy Cavendish College: Lady Margaret Road: College House (Torrisdale)
Date photograph taken: 21 Jul 2000 (Alternative map: Google map)

Lucy Cavendish College originated out of a Dining Group of female academics. In 1963 they formed the Lucy Cavendish Collegiate Society. In 1965 this became an Approved Society of the university. That same year they occupied two rooms in the building at 20 Silver Street, before moving in 1966 to two buildings at 16-18 Northampton Street. These were leased from Magdalene College, with the university paying the rent.

In 1967, College House, which was originally known as Torrisdale but was at that time known as St Francis House, was vacated by the Franciscan Brothers. The owners, St John's College, agreed to lease the building to Lucy Cavendish, and the latter occupied the building in 1969.

The freehold for this building, the two neighbouring buildings (Strathaird and Barrmore) and for the 2.7 acre site surrounding these, was purchased from St John's in 1976.

From 1969 until 1976 one of the rooms in College House was the home of the Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre, because Olga Kennard, the founder of the CCDC, was one of the first Fellows of Lucy Cavendish.

Other photographs within 100 m: