Cambridge 2000: Trumpington Road: Hobson's Conduit

Description: Trumpington Road: Hobson's Conduit: monument
Date built: 1614
Trumpington Road: Hobson's Conduit map for Trumpington Road: Hobson's Conduit
Date photograph taken: 27 Jul 2000 (Alternative map: Google map)

Originally a fountain in the market square but moved to its present location in 1856, and largely forgotten about since then. Hobson's Conduit was built to provide water to Cambridge from a well in Great Shelford (to the south). The continuation of the conduit into Cambridge along the side of Trumpington Street is a well-known hazard for motorists, for some reason most of it is not covered.

Other photographs within 100 m: