Cambridge 2000: Silver Street: bridge

Description: Silver Street: bridge
Date built: 1958-1959
Architect: Edwin Lutyens
Silver Street: bridge (Edwin Lutyens) map for Silver Street: bridge
Date photograph taken: 14 Dec 2000 (Alternative map: Google map)

Lutyens did the design for the bridge in 1932, it replaced an earlier cast-iron one. Before Fen Causeway was built this was the only route over the river for vehicles on this side of the city.

Queens' College lies on the far side of the bridge, with Cripps Court at the left and Pump Court at the right.

In 2002 the city proposed to close the street to most vehicles during the day, with the ultimate aim of permanent closure.

Other photographs within 100 m: