Cambridge 2000: Park Terrace: Hobbs Pavilion
|Description: Park Terrace: Hobbs Pavilion|
|Date built: 1930|
Located on the western edge of Parker's Piece, originally this building
was a pavilion for cricket, which has been played on Parker's Piece since
around 1830 (the city government almost stopped this in 2005 because of lack
of money to cut the grass).
The pavilion was named after John Berry (Jack) Hobbs, who was born in Cambridge
and played here before going on to become one of the best cricket batsman ever.
The building was extended in the 1960s. There has been a restaurant (of
differing varieties) in the pavilion since 1978.
The London Plane tree just visible at the left was removed in November
2008, when a new line of trees was planted along this side of Parker's Piece.
Other photographs within 100 m: