Cambridge 2000: Peterhouse: Little St Mary's Lane: Ward Library

Description: Peterhouse: Little St Mary's Lane: Ward Library
Date built: 1884
Architect: Basil Champneys
Peterhouse: Little St Mary's Lane: Ward Library (Basil Champneys) map for Peterhouse: Little St Mary's Lane: Ward Library
Date photograph taken: 27 Jun 2006 (Alternative map: Google map)

The buildings were originally 18th century warehouses, hence the unimposing look, and were converted by Champneys in 1884 into the university Museum of Classical Archaeology, hence the addition of a few classical features to make the building look not just like warehouses.

To mark its 700th anniversary in 1984, Peterhouse (the oldest Cambridge college) purchased the site. The architects Robert Potter and Partners converted the building mainly to a library, but also added a lecture theatre and other rooms. In 2004-2005 Freeland Rees Roberts converted another section of the building to additional library space.

Other photographs within 100 m: