Cambridge 2000: Paget Road: Pavilion, King George V Memorial Playing Field
|Description: Paget Road: Pavilion, King George V Memorial Playing Field|
|Date built: 1950s; 2009|
|Architect: 5th Studio|
The pavilion was originally built in the 1950s alongside
playing fields, all in memory of King George V (who died
in 1936). Over the years the building, as with other
similar public buildings, suffered from vandalism.
In 2006, 5th Studio were commissioned to refurbish and
extend the building. At the same time, a separate block
of changing rooms was added to the side (to the right of
the photo). The green steel mesh over most of the windows
is an attempt to discourage the vandals.
Although the front is only partially covered, the entire
back side is covered in this mesh, as is the entire block
of changing rooms. This is rather shocking to see,
especially given its strong visual presence, but perhaps
it was necessary to design it this way.
Other photographs within 400 m: