Cambridge 2000: St Catharine's College: Trumpington Street: Bull
The college has owned the site since the 17th century, and there was an inn on
the site long before the current, rather anonymous, building was erected in 1828
and called the Bull Hotel. The bay at the right in the photo, over the archway
(leading to King's Lane) is a more recent addition, but keeping in character
with the rest of the façade.
In 1941 the building was requisitioned for the American armed forces and had
a canteen and club. After the war ended in 1945, the building continued to be used
by the Americans and was briefly the site of what became known as Bull College,
as part of the system (called the Training Within Civilian Agencies, TWCA)
whereby American military personnel were allowed to take courses at the university.
The British military took over the building at the end of 1945 and Bull College
moved to a temporary site, and closed down a few months later in 1946, so existing
for only two academic terms (six months).
St Catharine's reoccupied the building in 1948 and it is currently used for
office and student accommodation.
Other photographs within 100 m: