home | site | date | map | rating | photo | designer | category | status | confidence | other

Church of the Messiah, Manhattan, New York City, New York

Note: the text in the square brackets ([...]) are a short form of references which have been used to deduce the corresponding information.
The meaning of the site and item attributes is explained in the glossary.

Site Id: 1.1.100
Rating: Nothing
Other name(s): Second Unitarian Church; Community Church of New York
Address: Park Avenue and 34th Street
Location: Manhattan, New York City, New York 10016, USA
Lat/Lng: 40.74709, -73.98135 (approx)
Tiffany 1910: Not listed
Duncan 1980: Not listed
Tiffany 1897: Not listed
Tiffany 1893: Not listed
Tiffany 1886: Not listed
Completeness: High
Building status: Destroyed
Building date: 1867 [A2Z2004]
Architect: Carl Pfeiffer [A2Z2004]
Comment: Badly damaged by fire, 11 Sep 1919 [NYT1919]
Also of interest: 1912 window, "Christ Before Pilate", in memory of William Loomis, by Lamb Studios [NYEP1911]
1912 window, "Moses Before Pharaoh", in memory of Samuel Archibald Simpson, by Lamb Studios [NYEP1911]
1914 window, "Socrates Before the Judges" in memory of Robert Collyer, by Lamb Studios [NYEP1914, NYS1914A, NYS1914B, NYP1914]

Site Items

1.1.100.1: Parker Memorial Mosaic: Spirit of Light Descending on the World of Darkness (1916) (Removed)

Item 1.1.100.1

Glossary (of terms) and References (as found in square brackets [...])

Status: Removed [ORG_NEW]
Confidence: High
Memorial name: Parker Memorial Mosaic
Theme: Spirit of Light Descending on the World of Darkness [NYT1915, NYS1915]
Tiffany 1910: Not listed
Duncan 1980: Not listed
Tiffany 1897: Not listed
Signature:
Other documentation: [NYT1915, NYS1915, SR1915, FUCB1987]
Record type: Mosaic
Designer: Louis Comfort Tiffany [NYT1915]
Memorial details: James Henry Parker (4 Jan 1843 - 27 Jan 1915) [NYS1915, SR1915, REGIS1919, INSCRIPTION, FINDAGRAVE]
Donor: his wife, Julita A. Jones Parker [NYT1915, INSCRIPTION, FUCB1987]
Date: Exhibited Nov / Dec 1915 [NYT1915, NYS1915, SR1915]
Installed early 1916 [SR1915]
Size: over 14' high x about 8' wide [NYT1915, NYS1915, SR1915]
Inscription: TO MY BELOVED HUSBAND / JAMES HENRY PARKER / JANUARY 27TH 1915 [PHOTO]
Category: Angel of Light
Location: wall at the back of the pulpit [NYT1915, REGIS1919]
History: In 1935 placed in First Unitarian Church, Brooklyn, NY (SITE:2.1.19) [FUCB1987]
Comment: Badly damaged by fire of 11 Sep 1919 [REGIS1919]
Same as item: 2.1.19.11

References

A2Z2004: From Abyssinian to Zion, A Guide to Manhattan's Houses of Worship, David W. Dunlap (2004, p. 48)
DUNC1980: Tiffany Windows, Alastair Duncan (1980)
FINDAGRAVE: Findagrave.com, for deducing biographical or genealogical information
FUCB1987: The First Unitarian Church of Brooklyn, Olive Hoogenboom (1987, p. 249)
INSCRIPTION: Inscription on item
NYEP1911: New York Evening Post (9 Dec 1911, p. 11)
NYEP1914: New York Evening Post (6 May 1914)
NYP1914: New York Press (17 May 1914, p. 8)
NYS1914A: New York Sun (8 May 1914)
NYS1914B: New York Sun (16 May 1914)
NYS1915: New York Sun (14 Nov 1915, p. 7)
NYT1915: New York Times (8 Nov 1915)
NYT1919: New York Times (12 Sep 1919)
ORG_NEW: Organization that is new owner
PHOTO: Photo of item
REGIS1919: The Christian Register (18 Sep 1919, p. 911)
SR1915: The Springfield Sunday Republican (28 Nov 1915, p. 10)
TIFF1886: Announcement in American Architect and Building News, Tiffany Glass Company (6 Feb 1886)
TIFF1893: Chicago Exposition booklet, Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company (1893)
TIFF1897: A List of Windows: And Extracts from Letters & Newspapers, Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company (1897)
TIFF1910: A Partial List of Tiffany Windows, Tiffany Studios (1910)

home | site | date | map | rating | photo | designer | category | status | confidence | other