home | site | date | map | rating | photo | designer | category | status | confidence | other

Fourth Universalist Society, Manhattan, New York City, New York

Note: the text in the square brackets ([...]) are a short form of references which have been used to deduce the corresponding information.
The meaning of the site and item attributes is explained in the glossary.

Site Id: 1.1.106
Rating: Nothing
Other name(s): Church of the Divine Paternity
Address: Fifth Avenue and 45th Street
Location: Manhattan, New York City, New York 10036, USA
Lat/Lng: 40.75541, -73.97949 (approx)
Tiffany 1910: Not listed
Duncan 1980: Not listed
Tiffany 1897: Not listed
Tiffany 1893: Listed
Tiffany 1886: Listed
Completeness: Medium
Building status: Demolished
Building date: 1866 [A2Z2004]
Architect: John Correja [A2Z2004]
Comment: Congregation vacated the building in 1896 and moved to 160 Central Park West in 1898 (SITE:1.1.113) [NYS1897, NYT1898]
Also of interest:

Site Items

1.1.106.1: Uriel, The Angel of Light (1881) (Unknown)
1.1.106.2: ten side windows, large central one, two smaller ones at either side, with flowering and geometrical design (1881) (Unknown)

Item 1.1.106.1

Glossary (of terms) and References (as found in square brackets [...])

Status: Unknown
Confidence: High
Memorial name:
Theme: Uriel, The Angel of Light [NYH1881, NYTR1881, NYS1882, NYTR1884, APPL1885]
Description: opalescent glass and painted stucco [NYH1881, NYTR1881]
Uriel, ten feet in height, stands with feet planted well apart and wings open, on a bank of cloud [NYH1881, NYTR1881]
Tiffany 1910: Not listed
Duncan 1980: Not listed
Tiffany 1897: Not listed
Signature:
Other documentation: [NYH1881, NYEP1881, NYTR1881, NYS1882, APPL1885]
Record type: Glass
Designer: Louis Comfort Tiffany [NYH1881]
Memorial details:
Donor:
Date: Unveiled 11 Sep 1881 (along with re-decorated building) [NYH1881, NYTR1881]
Size:
Inscription: Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was and is to come! // God is love. // And God said, Let there be light. [NYH1881, NYTR1881]
Category: Uriel; Angel of Light
Location: west wall, above the pulpit [NYH1881, NYTR1881]
Comment: Tiffany painted the figure in the center, assisted in the remainder of the work by David Maitland Armstrong [NYH1881]
Congregation vacated building in 1898 and the fate of the glass is unknown [ORG]

Item 1.1.106.2

Glossary (of terms) and References (as found in square brackets [...])

Status: Unknown
Confidence: High
Memorial name:
Description: ten side windows, large central one, two smaller ones at either side, with flowering and geometrical design [NYH1881]
Tiffany 1910: Not listed
Duncan 1980: Not listed
Tiffany 1897: Not listed
Signature:
Other documentation: [NYH1881, NYTR1881]
Record type: Window
Designer:
Memorial details:
Donor:
Date: Unveiled 11 Sep 1881 (along with re-decorated building) [NYH1881, NYTR1881]
Size:
Inscription:
Category: Ornamental
Comment: Congregation vacated building in 1898 and fate of the windows is unknown [ORG]

References

A2Z2004: From Abyssinian to Zion, A Guide to Manhattan's Houses of Worship, David W. Dunlap (2004, p. 81)
APPL1885: Appletons' Annual Cyclopaedia for 1884 (1885, p. 243)
DUNC1980: Tiffany Windows, Alastair Duncan (1980)
NYEP1881: New York Evening Post (10 Aug 1881, p. 4)
NYH1881: New York Herald (8 Sep 1881, p. 8)
NYS1882: New York Sun (1 Jan 1882, p. 3)
NYS1897: New York Sun (15 Nov 1897, p. 6)
NYT1898: New York Times (2 Oct 1898, p. 13)
NYTR1881: New York Daily Tribune (12 Sep 1881, p. 8)
NYTR1884: New York Daily Tribune (24 Feb 1884, p. 10)
ORG: Organisation
TIFF1886: Announcement in American Architect and Building News, Tiffany Glass Company (1886)
TIFF1893: Chicago Exposition booklet, Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company (1893)
TIFF1897: A List of Windows: And Extracts from Letters & Newspapers, Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company (1897)
TIFF1910: A Partial List of Tiffany Windows, Tiffany Studios (1910)

home | site | date | map | rating | photo | designer | category | status | confidence | other