home | site | date | map | rating | photo | designer | category | status | confidence | other

St. John's Church, Brooklyn, New York City, New York

Note: the text in the square brackets ([...]) are a short form of references which have been used to deduce the corresponding information.
The meaning of the site and item attributes is explained in the glossary.

Site Id: 2.1.62
Rating: 1 star
Address: 139 St John's Place
Location: Brooklyn, New York City, New York 11217, USA
Lat/Lng: 40.67693, -73.97457
Tiffany 1910: Not listed
Duncan 1980: Not listed
Tiffany 1897: Not listed
Tiffany 1893: Not listed
Tiffany 1886: Not listed
Completeness: High
Building status: Extant
Building date: 1870 [AIA1978]
Architect:
Also of interest:

Site Items

2.1.62.1: Lounsbery Memorial Window: Christ Blessing Children (1898) (Extant) item has a photo

Item 2.1.62.1

You can click on photo to get the full sized image.
Lounsbery Memorial Window:  Christ Blessing Children
Glossary (of terms) and References (as found in square brackets [...])

Status: Extant [PHOTO]
Confidence: High
Memorial name: Lounsbery Memorial Window
Theme: Christ Blessing Children [TIFF1910, DUNC1980, ORG]
Tiffany 1910: Page 16
Duncan 1980: Page 203
Tiffany 1897: Not listed
Signature:
Other documentation: [EAGLE1898]
Record type: Window
Designer:
Memorial details: Mrs. Addie Tiers Mabee Lounsbery (27 Dec 1851 - 16 Jan 1897) (in Church of the Messiah) [EAGLE1898, INSCRIPTION]
Donor: her husband, Alfred Bishop Lounsbery (in Church of the Messiah) [EAGLE1898, INSCRIPTION]
Mrs. Jill Reintjes (window pieces) and Mrs. Ivy Latchman (restoration) (in St. John's Church) [ORG]
Date: Unveiled 16 Jan 1898 (in Church of the Messiah) [EAGLE1898]
Size:
Lancets: 2 [PHOTO]
Inscription:
Category: Christ Blessing Children
Location: in meeting room adjacent to nave [DT2014]
History: Originally in Church of the Messiah, Brooklyn, NY (SITE:2.1.30) [TIFF1910, DUNC1980, EAGLE1898]
Damaged in fire of 1969 and donated to St. John's in 1988 [ORG]
After design: Painting by Heinrich Hofmann [PHOTO]
Tiffany/Duncan comment: Tiffany 1910 calls this the Loundsbury Memorial Window, so slightly misspelled [TIFF1910, DUNC1980, DEDUCED]
After the 1969 fire in Church of the Messiah, window pieces sold at auction, bought by Mort and Jill Malkin and in 1988 donated by Jill to St. John's [ORG]
Comment: Memorial panel removed [DT2014]
Same as item: 2.1.30.3

References

AIA1978: AIA Guide to New York City, Norval White and Elliot Willensky (1978, p. 432)
DEDUCED: Deduced from other information
DT2014: Donald Traser, personal communication (21 Aug 2014)
DUNC1980: Tiffany Windows, Alastair Duncan (1980)
EAGLE1898: Brooklyn Daily Eagle (15 Jan 1898, p. 7)
INSCRIPTION: Inscription on item
ORG: Organization
PHOTO: Photo of item
TIFF1886: Announcement in American Architect and Building News, Tiffany Glass Company (6 Feb 1886)
TIFF1893: Chicago Exposition booklet, Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company (1893)
TIFF1897: A List of Windows: And Extracts from Letters & Newspapers, Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company (1897)
TIFF1910: A Partial List of Tiffany Windows, Tiffany Studios (1910)

home | site | date | map | rating | photo | designer | category | status | confidence | other