home | site | date | map | rating | photo | designer | category | status | confidence | other

St. Luke's and St. Margaret's Church, Boston, Massachusetts

Note: the text in the square brackets ([...]) are a short form of references which have been used to deduce the corresponding information.
The meaning of the site and item attributes is explained in the glossary.

Site Id: 21.1.1
Rating: 1 star
Address: 5 St. Luke's Road
Location: Boston, Massachusetts 02134, USA
Lat/Lng: 42.35216, -71.12715
Tiffany 1910: Page 63
Duncan 1980: Page 213
Tiffany 1897: Page 39
Tiffany 1893: Not listed
Tiffany 1886: Not listed
Tiffany/Duncan comment: Tiffany 1897 and Tiffany 1910 place the church in Allston, which is the neighborhood it is in [TIFF1897, TIFF1910, DUNC1980]
Completeness: High
Building status: Extant
Building date: 1895 [CHU1895, NRHP1997]; 1913 [NRHP1997]
Architect: Francis R. Allen [CHU1895, NRHP1997]; James Lawrence Berry and Harry E. Davidson [NRHP1997]
Comment: The congregation vacated the building in 2010 [WIKI]
Also of interest: Windows by Charles Connick [NRHP1997]

Site Items

21.1.1.1: Mumford Memorial Window: St. John (1895) (Extant)

Item 21.1.1.1

Glossary (of terms) and References (as found in square brackets [...])

Status: Extant [PHOTO]
Confidence: High
Memorial name: Mumford Memorial Window
Theme: St. John [TIFF1897, TIFF1910, DUNC1980]
Tiffany 1910: Page 63
Duncan 1980: Page 213
Tiffany 1897: Page 39
Signature:
Other documentation:
Record type: Window
Designer:
Memorial details: Alfred H. Mumford [NRHP1997]
Donor: his wife, Gertrude E. Mumford [NRHP1997]
Date: In place when building opened on Festival of St. Michael and All Angels (Michaelmas), 29 Sep 1895 [CHU1895]
Size:
Lancets: 3 [PHOTO]
Inscription:
Category: St. John
History: Originally located in the chancel in the 1895 chapel [CHU1895, NRHP1997]
Moved to the east wall of the church in 1913 and divided into three panels, placed in a new frame, and surrounded with additional stained glass (likely not by Tiffany) [NRHP1997, DEDUCED]
After design: Painting by Correggio of St. John on the Isle of Patmos [NRHP1997]

References

CHU1895: The Churchman (5 Oct 1895, p. 393)
DEDUCED: Deduced from other information
DUNC1980: Tiffany Windows, Alastair Duncan (1980)
NRHP1997: National Register of Historic Places, Claire W. Dempsey with Betsy Friedberg (1997)
PHOTO: Photo of item
TIFF1886: Announcement in American Architect and Building News, Tiffany Glass Company (6 Feb 1886)
TIFF1893: Chicago Exposition booklet, Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company (1893)
TIFF1897: A List of Windows: And Extracts from Letters & Newspapers, Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company (1897)
TIFF1910: A Partial List of Tiffany Windows, Tiffany Studios (1910)
WIKI: Wikipedia

home | site | date | map | rating | photo | designer | category | status | confidence | other