home | site | date | map | rating | photo | designer | category | status | confidence | other

Trinity Church, Boston, Massachusetts

Note: the text in the square brackets ([...]) are a short form of references which have been used to deduce the corresponding information.
The meaning of the site and item attributes is explained in the glossary.

Site Id: 21.4.8
Rating: Unrated
Address: 206 Clarendon Street
Location: Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
Lat/Lng: 42.35002, -71.07538
Tiffany 1910: Page 63
Duncan 1980: Page 213
Tiffany 1897: Not listed
Tiffany 1893: Not listed
Tiffany 1886: Not listed
Tiffany/Duncan comment: Tiffany 1910 lists the building as Trinity Chapel, which is now known as the Parish House [TIFF1910, DUNC1980, DEDUCED]
Completeness: Low
Building status: Extant
Building date: 1872-1877 [WIKI]
Architect: Henry Hobson Richardson [ORG]
Also of interest: 1883 "Christ in Majesty", by John La Farge [HIST1888, WEB]
1884 Black Memorial Window, "Vision of St. John: Ieposolyma, the New Jerusalem", by John La Farge [BG1883, HIST1888, WEB]
1885 Parker Memorial Window, "The Wise Virgin", by John La Farge (in the chapel, now the parish house) [HIST1888, WEB]
1888 McKim Memorial Window, "The Presentation of the Virgin in Temple", by John La Farge [HIST1888, WEB]
1902 Welch Memorial Window, "Resurrection of Christ", by John La Farge [BH1902]
1882 Dexter Memorial Window, "David's Charge to Solomon", designed by Edward Burne-Jones and made by Morris & Co. [HIST1888, WIKI]
1882 Brimmer Memorial Window, "The Wonder of the Shepherds", designed by Edward Burne-Jones and made by Morris & Co. [HIST1888, WIKI]
1882 Chickering Memorial Window, "The Visit of the Magi", designed by Edward Burne-Jones and made by Morris & Co. [HIST1888, WIKI]
1882 Thayer Memorial Window, "The Journey into Egypt", designed by Edward Burne-Jones and made by Morris & Co. [HIST1888, WIKI]
1896 Phillips Brooks Memorial Window, designed and made by Sarah Wyman Whitman (in the chapel, now the parish house) [BG1896, BJ1896]
1905 Sarah Wyman Whitman Memorial Window (in the chapel, now the parish house) [BJ1905, BG1905, CHU1905]

Site Items

21.4.8.1: Suter Memorial Window (Unknown)

Item 21.4.8.1

Glossary (of terms) and References (as found in square brackets [...])

Status: Unknown
Confidence: Low
Memorial name: Suter Memorial Window
Tiffany 1910: Page 63
Duncan 1980: Page 213
Tiffany 1897: Not listed
Signature:
Other documentation:
Designer:
Memorial details:
Donor:
Date:
Inscription:
Comment: There was an 1892 Suter Memorial Window in the chapel but this was by Ford and Brooks and was removed in the 1940s or 1950s [WEB, BAE1891, BG1892]

References

BAE1891: Boston Architectural Exhibition, Illustrated Catalogue (Oct 1891, p. 34, and illustration)
BG1883: Boston Globe (30 Dec 1883, p. 12)
BG1892: Boston Globe (28 Oct 1892, p. 4)
BG1896: Boston Globe (19 Mar 1896, p. 12)
BG1905: Boston Globe (5 Mar 1905, p. 43)
BH1902: Boston Herald (18 Mar 1902, p. 7)
BJ1896: Boston Journal (20 Mar 1896, p. 4)
BJ1905: Boston Journal (3 Mar 1905, p. 7)
CHU1905: The Churchman (11 Mar 1905, p. 387, 389)
DEDUCED: Deduced from other information
DUNC1980: Tiffany Windows, Alastair Duncan (1980)
HIST1888: Trinity Church in the City of Boston (1888)
ORG: Organization
TIFF1886: Announcement in American Architect and Building News, Tiffany Glass Company (6 Feb 1886)
TIFF1893: Chicago Exposition booklet, Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company (1893)
TIFF1897: A List of Windows: And Extracts from Letters & Newspapers, Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company (1897)
TIFF1910: A Partial List of Tiffany Windows, Tiffany Studios (1910)
WEB: Some general webpage, e.g. for deducing biographical or genealogical information
WIKI: Wikipedia

home | site | date | map | rating | photo | designer | category | status | confidence | other