home | site | date | map | rating | photo | designer | category | status | confidence | other

St. John's in the Wilderness, Paul Smiths, New York

Note: the text in the square brackets ([...]) are a short form of references which have been used to deduce the corresponding information.
The meaning of the site and item attributes is explained in the glossary.

Site Id: 3.1.1
Rating: Nothing
Address: Route 86
Location: Paul Smiths, New York 12970, USA
Lat/Lng: 44.44053, -74.24695
Tiffany 1910: Page 18
Duncan 1980: Page 203
Tiffany 1897: Page 20
Tiffany 1893: Not listed
Tiffany 1886: Not listed
Tiffany/Duncan comment: Tiffany 1910 just lists an "Episcopal Church" in the Adirondacks, so it might be another church, but seems likely to be this one [TIFF1910, DUNC1980, DEDUCED]
Tiffany 1897 has this location [TIFF1897]
Completeness: Medium
Building status: Destroyed
Building date: 1877 [ORG]
Architect:
Comment: On 4 Dec 1927 a fire destroyed the building, as well as its memorial windows and ecclesiastical ornaments (there is a replacement building) [ORG]
Possibly there was more than one Tiffany window [CT1894]
Also of interest: 1905 Gorham window designed by Edward Peck Sperry [CHU1905]
Two 1921 landscape windows by Henry Wynd Young [NYT1921]

Site Items

3.1.1.1: Byrd Memorial Window: Cherubs (1894) (Destroyed)

Item 3.1.1.1

Glossary (of terms) and References (as found in square brackets [...])

Status: Destroyed [ORG]
Confidence: High
Memorial name: Byrd Memorial Window (Bird Memorial Window)
Theme: Cherubs [TIFF1897]
Climbs [TIFF1910, DUNC1980]
Tiffany 1910: Page 18
Duncan 1980: Page 203
Tiffany 1897: Page 20
Signature:
Other documentation: [AEJ1894]
Record type: Window
Designer:
Memorial details: Miss Byrd (d. 1893) [CT1894, AEJ1894]
Donor: her mother, Mrs. Byrd [CT1894]
Date: Unveiled 22 Jul 1894 [CT1894]
Size:
Inscription:
Cost: $500 [AEJ1894]
Tiffany/Duncan comment: Tiffany 1897 calls this the Byrd Memorial Window [TIFF1897]
Tiffany 1910 calls this the Bird Memorial Window and just places it in the Adirondacks, with no town mentioned [TIFF1910, DUNC1980, DEDUCED]
Comment: Building destroyed by fire 4 Dec 1927 [ORG]

References

AEJ1894: The Albany Evening Journal (1 Jun 1894, p. 5)
CHU1905: The Churchman (26 Aug 1905, p. 322)
CT1894: Chicago Tribune (29 Jul 1894, p. 11)
DEDUCED: Deduced from other information
DUNC1980: Tiffany Windows, Alastair Duncan (1980)
NYT1921: New York Times (8 Aug 1921, p. 11)
ORG: Organization
TIFF1886: Announcement in American Architect and Building News, Tiffany Glass Company (1886)
TIFF1893: Chicago Exposition booklet, Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company (1893)
TIFF1897: A List of Windows: And Extracts from Letters & Newspapers, Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company (1897)
TIFF1910: A Partial List of Tiffany Windows, Tiffany Studios (1910)

home | site | date | map | rating | photo | designer | category | status | confidence | other