home | site | date | map | rating | photo | designer | category | signature | mosaic | other

Tiffany Census

Grace-St. Luke's Episcopal Church, Memphis, Tennessee

Note: the text in the square brackets ([...]) are a short form of references which have been used to deduce the corresponding information.
The meaning of the site and item attributes is explained in the glossary.

Site Id: 37.5.3
Rating: 1 star
Address: 1720 Peabody Avenue
Location: Memphis, Tennessee 38104, USA
Lat/Lng: 35.13246, -90.00444
Tiffany 1910: Not listed
Duncan 1980: Not listed
Tiffany 1897: Not listed
Tiffany 1893: Not listed
Tiffany 1886: Not listed
Completeness: High
Building status: Extant
Building date:
Also of interest: ca. 1907 Bedford, Buckingham, Collier, Finley and Hadden Memorial Windows by Gorham [CHU1907]
ca. 1920 "Last Supper" altar mosaic by Gorham (installed in 1924) [HIST1980]
Windows by Payne Spiers Studio [ORG]

Site Items Patterson Memorial Window: Ascension (1908) (Extant) item has a photo


You can click on the photo to get the full sized image.
Patterson Memorial Window:  Ascension
Glossary (of terms) and References (as found in square brackets [...])

Status: Extant [PHOTO]
Confidence: High
Memorial name: Patterson Memorial Window (Gage Memorial Window)
Theme: Ascension [TIFF1910, DUNC1980]
Tiffany 1910: Page 112
Duncan 1980: Page 223
Tiffany 1897: Not listed
Other documentation: [MCA1908]
Memorial details: Rev. George Patterson (13 Jul 1828 - 10 Dec 1901) [MCA1908, HIST1980, FINDAGRAVE]
Donor: Clara Morgan (Mrs. William A.) Gage [MCA1908, HIST1980, FINDAGRAVE]
Date: Unveiled (in original building) Thanksgiving Day, 26 Nov 1908 [MCA1908]
Lancets: 1 [PHOTO]
Inscription: To the Glory of God and In loving memory of The Reverend George Patterson DD 'Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God' (inscription pane no longer with window) [MCA1908, DEDUCED]
Category: Ascension
History: Originally located in previous building of Grace Church (SITE:37.5.1) [ORG]
Moved here when Grace Church and St. Luke's Church congregations merged in 1940 [ORG]
Tiffany/Duncan comment: Tiffany 1910 calls this the Gage Memorial Window because Mrs. Gage was the donor [TIFF1910, DUNC1980, DEDUCED]
Comment: The window is the central part of a larger window made in 1949 to 1954 by Payne Spiers Studio [PHOTO, ORG]
Same as item:


CHU1907: The Churchman (21 Sep 1907, p. 391)
DEDUCED: Deduced from other information
DUNC1980: Tiffany Windows, Alastair Duncan (1980)
FINDAGRAVE: Findagrave.com, for deducing biographical or genealogical information
HIST1980: The Story of Grace-St. Luke's Church, Part One, Grace Church, 1852-1940, Martha Wharton Jones (1980, p. 44-45)
MCA1908: Memphis Commercial Appeal (28 Nov 1908, p. 8)
ORG: Organization
PHOTO: Photo of item
TIFF1886: Announcement in American Architect and Building News, Tiffany Glass Company (6 Feb 1886)
TIFF1893: Chicago Exposition booklet, Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company (1893)
TIFF1897: A List of Windows: And Extracts from Letters & Newspapers, Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company (1897)
TIFF1910: A Partial List of Tiffany Windows, Tiffany Studios (1910)

home | site | date | map | rating | photo | designer | category | signature | mosaic | other