home | site | date | map | rating | photo | designer | category | signature | mosaic | other

Church of the Holy Trinity, Manhattan, New York City, New York

Note: the text in the square brackets ([...]) are a short form of references which have been used to deduce the corresponding information.
The meaning of the site and item attributes is explained in the glossary.

Site Id: 1.1.14
Rating: Unrated
Other name(s): St. Martin's Episcopal Church
Address: 230 Malcolm X Boulevard (Lenox Avenue)
Location: Manhattan, New York City, New York 10027, USA
Lat/Lng: 40.80543, -73.94654
Tiffany 1910: Page 6
Duncan 1980: Page 201
Tiffany 1897: Page 6
Tiffany 1893: Listed
Tiffany 1886: Not listed
Completeness: Medium
Building status: Extant
Building date: 1887-1888 [A2Z2004]
Architect: William A. Potter [A2Z2004]
Comment: Interior destroyed in fire of 15 Apr 1925 [NYT1925]
Also of interest: 1899 Crall Memorial Window, "Adoration of the Magi", by Francis Lathrop [NYTR1899, CHU1899]
1900 Bridgman Memorial Window, "Resurrection", by Maitland Armstrong [CHU1900]

Site Items

1.1.14.1: ornamental windows (Likely destroyed if ever existed)
1.1.14.2: King Memorial Window: Good Shepherd (1921) (Likely destroyed) item has a photo

Item 1.1.14.1

Glossary (of terms) and References (as found in square brackets [...])

Status: Likely destroyed if ever existed [DEDUCED]
Confidence: Medium
Memorial name:
Description: ornamental windows [TIFF1897, TIFF1910, DUNC1980]
Tiffany 1910: Page 6
Duncan 1980: Page 201
Tiffany 1897: Page 6
Signature:
Other documentation:
Designer:
Memorial details:
Donor:
Date:
Inscription:
Category: Ornamental
Comment: Interior destroyed by fire in 1925 [NYCAGO]

Item 1.1.14.2

You can click on the photo to get the full sized image.
King Memorial Window:  Good Shepherd
Glossary (of terms) and References (as found in square brackets [...])

Status: Likely destroyed [DEDUCED]
Confidence: High
Memorial name: King Memorial Window
Theme: Good Shepherd [NYH1921, NYEP1921]
Tiffany 1910: Not listed
Duncan 1980: Not listed
Tiffany 1897: Not listed
Signature:
Other documentation: [NYH1921, NYEP1921]
Designer:
Memorial details: Rev. Guy Beaver King (1886-1920) [NYH1921, NYEP1921, FINDAGRAVE]
Donor: his wife, Mildred B. Sargent King, and his friends [NYH1921, NYEP1921, FINDAGRAVE]
Date: Installed ca. Jun 1921 [NYH1921]
Inscription:
Category: Christ the Good Shepherd; Rose Window

References

A2Z2004: From Abyssinian to Zion, A Guide to Manhattan's Houses of Worship, David W. Dunlap (2004, p. 226)
CHU1899: The Churchman (30 Dec 1899, p. 838)
CHU1900: The Churchman (21 Apr 1900, p. 492)
DEDUCED: Deduced from other information
DUNC1980: Tiffany Windows, Alastair Duncan (1980)
FINDAGRAVE: Findagrave.com, for deducing biographical or genealogical information
NYCAGO: New York City Chapter of the American Guild of Organists
NYEP1921: New York Evening Post (2 Jul 1921)
NYH1921: New York Herald (13 Jun 1921, p. 7)
NYT1925: New York Times (16 Apr 1925, p. 23)
NYTR1899: New York Daily Tribune (24 Dec 1899, p. 2)
TIFF1886: Announcement in American Architect and Building News, Tiffany Glass Company (6 Feb 1886)
TIFF1893: Chicago Exposition booklet, Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company (1893)
TIFF1897: A List of Windows: And Extracts from Letters & Newspapers, Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company (1897)
TIFF1910: A Partial List of Tiffany Windows, Tiffany Studios (1910)

home | site | date | map | rating | photo | designer | category | signature | mosaic | other