| Site Id: |
13.1.9 |
| Rating: |
1 star |
| Other name(s): |
Hyde Park Baptist Church |
| Address: |
5600 S. Woodlawn Avenue |
| Location: |
Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA |
| Lat/Lng: |
41.79302, -87.59698 |
| Tiffany 1910: |
Page 52 |
| Duncan 1980: |
Page 210 |
| Tiffany 1897: |
Not listed |
| Tiffany 1893: |
Not listed |
| Tiffany 1886: |
Not listed |
| Completeness: |
High |
| Building status: |
Extant |
| Building date: |
1906 [ORG] |
| Architect: |
John Gamble Rogers [ORG] |
| Also of interest: |
1907 John Breckenridge Jackson Memorial Window, "Paul on Mars Hill in Athens", possibly designed by Clara Miller Burd for Church Glass and Decorating Company [DEDUCED, ORG, STAN1908A] |
|
1918 Parker Memorial Window, "Jesus Welcomes the Children", by F. X. Zettler Studios [ORG] |
|
1920 WW1 Memorial Window, "St Michael and Gabriel", by Connick [CONN1920] |
|
1951 WW2 Memorial Window, "Raphael and Uriel", by Connick [CONN1951] |
|
1952 clerestory windows, by Connick [CONN1952] |
|
1954 Burton Memorial Window, "St. Luke and St. John", by Connick [CONN1954A] |
|
1954 Gallagher Memorial Window, "David and Jonathan", by Connick [CONN1954B] |
|
1954 "Christ and the Twelve Apostles", by Connick [CONN1954C] |
|
1954 Bowers Memorial Windows, "Worship and Work", by Connick [CONN1954D] |
|
1954 Green Memorial Window, "Parable of the Good Samaritan" and "Parable of the Prodigal Son", by Connick [CONN1954E] |
|
1956 Smith Memorial Window, "Parable of the Lost Coin" and "Parable of the Pharisee and Publican", by Connick [CONN1956A] |
|
1956 Gilkey Memorial Window, "Parable of the Sower" and "Parable of the Talents", by Connick [CONN1956B] |
|
1958 Price Memorial Window, "Service and Worship", by Connick [CONN1958] |
|
1959 "Parable of the Godly Pearl" and "Parable of the Lost Sheep", by Connick [CONN1959A] |
|
1959 Schloerb Memorial Window, "St. Matthew and St. Mark", by Connick [CONN1959B] |
|
1960 Goodspeed Memorial Window, "Parable of the Draw Net" and "Parable of the Rich Man's Dinner", by Connick [CONN1960] |
| Status: |
Extant [PHOTO] |
| Confidence: |
High |
| Memorial name: |
Harper Memorial Window |
| Theme: |
Amos and Hosiah [TIFF1910, DUNC1980] |
| Tiffany 1910: |
Page 52 |
| Duncan 1980: |
Page 210 |
| Tiffany 1897: |
Not listed |
| Tiffany photo number: |
8753 [PAB1909] |
| Signature: |
TIFFANY STVDIOS / NEW YORK (with an insignia between the TIFFANY and the STVDIOS) [PHOTO] |
|
 |
| Other documentation: |
[EAGLE1907, PB1908, NYO1908, URUC1908, PAB1909] |
| Designer: |
Frederick Wilson [EAGLE1907] |
| Memorial details: |
William Rainey Harper (26 Jul 1856 - 10 Jan 1906) [INSCRIPTION, EAGLE1907, CDT1908A, CDT1908B, CDT1908C, CDN1908, IO1908, URUC1908, CAM1908, NYEP1908, PB1908, NYO1908, STAN1908B, STAN1908C, FINDAGRAVE] |
| Donor: |
members of the church [CDT1908C, URUC1908, HIST1924] |
|
and his family [HIST1924] |
| Date: |
Exhibited ca. Mar 1908 [PB1908, NYO1908] |
|
Dedicated 29 Mar 1908 [CDT1908B, CDT1908C, CDN1908, IO1908, URUC1908, CAM1908, STAN1908B, STAN1908C] |
| Lancets: |
2 [PHOTO] |
| Inscription: |
LET JUDGMENT ROLL DOWN AS WATERS / AND RIGHTEOUSNESS AS A MIGHTY STREAM AMOS 5 24 // YE ARE SONS OF THE / LIVING GOD HOSEA 1 10 [PHOTO, URUC1908] |
|
on tablet to right of window: William Rainey Harper, 1856-1906, a member of this church, 1891-1906, Scholar, Teacher, Administrator, Christian [CDT1908B, URUC1908, STAN1908C] |
| Category: |
Amos and Hosea |
| Cost: |
$1500 [CDT1908C, URUC1908, CAM1908] |
|
$1500 including cost for three clerestory windows, a memorial tablet, carving of stone capitals, and decoration of a portion of the wall [STAN1908C] |
| Status: |
Extant [PHOTO] |
| Confidence: |
High |
| Memorial name: |
Jackson Memorial Window |
| Theme: |
The Good Shepherd [ORG] |
| Tiffany 1910: |
Not listed |
| Duncan 1980: |
Not listed |
| Tiffany 1897: |
Not listed |
| Signature: |
TIFFANY STVDIOS / NEW YORK [PHOTO] |
|
 |
| Other documentation: |
|
| Designer: |
probably Frederick Wilson [TIFF1896, DEDUCED] |
| Designer comment: |
Tiffany 1896 credits Wilson as the designer of a similar composition [TIFF1896] |
| Memorial details: |
John Mason Jackson (17 Jun 1859 - 6 Jul 1898) [INSCRIPTION, MEM1908, STAN1908A, HIST1924, WEB] |
| Donor: |
his father, John Breckenridge Jackson [MEM1908, STAN1908A] |
|
his family [HIST1924] |
| Date: |
Presented Nov 1906 [MEM1908] |
| Lancets: |
2 [PHOTO] |
| Inscription: |
IN MEMORY OF // 1859 JOHN MASON JACKSON 1898 [PHOTO] |
| Category: |
Christ the Good Shepherd |
| Tiffany/Duncan comment: |
Tiffany 1910 has an entry for a Llewellyn Memorial Window, with theme "Good Shepherd" (ITEM:13.1.10.1), supposedly located in the (then) Hyde Park Presbyterian Church (SITE:13.1.10), and likely that is this window, since F.J. Llewellyn was chairman of the Building Committee for the (then) Hyde Park Baptist Church and likely organised the window with the Tiffany company [TIFF1910, DUNC1980, HIST1924, DEDUCED] |
| Same as item: |
Probably 13.1.10.1 |
| CAM1908: |
The Chicago Alumni Magazine (Apr 1908, p. 84) |
| CDN1908: |
Chicago Daily News (28 Mar 1908, p. 11) |
| CDT1908A: |
Chicago Daily Tribune (17 Jan 1908, p. 9) |
| CDT1908B: |
Chicago Daily Tribune (21 Mar 1908, p. 5) |
| CDT1908C: |
Chicago Daily Tribune (30 Mar 1908, p. 7) |
| CONN1920: |
Charles J. Connick Stained Glass Foundation Collection (1 Oct 1920, job file 750) |
| CONN1951: |
Charles J. Connick Stained Glass Foundation Collection (16 May 1951, job file 3009) |
| CONN1952: |
Charles J. Connick Stained Glass Foundation Collection (28 Oct 1952, job file 3260) |
| CONN1954A: |
Charles J. Connick Stained Glass Foundation Collection (1 Aug 1954, job file 3501) |
| CONN1954B: |
Charles J. Connick Stained Glass Foundation Collection (15 Sep 1954, job file 3520) |
| CONN1954C: |
Charles J. Connick Stained Glass Foundation Collection (15 Nov 1954, job file 3478) |
| CONN1954D: |
Charles J. Connick Stained Glass Foundation Collection (15 Nov 1954, job file 3479) |
| CONN1954E: |
Charles J. Connick Stained Glass Foundation Collection (15 Dec 1954, job file 3480) |
| CONN1956A: |
Charles J. Connick Stained Glass Foundation Collection (15 Jun 1956, job file 3766) |
| CONN1956B: |
Charles J. Connick Stained Glass Foundation Collection (15 Jun 1956, job file 3824) |
| CONN1958: |
Charles J. Connick Stained Glass Foundation Collection (1 Nov 1958, job file 4131) |
| CONN1959A: |
Charles J. Connick Stained Glass Foundation Collection (1 Jun 1959, job file 4123) |
| CONN1959B: |
Charles J. Connick Stained Glass Foundation Collection (15 Jun 1959, job file 4114) |
| CONN1960: |
Charles J. Connick Stained Glass Foundation Collection (1 Sep 1960, job file 3734) |
| DEDUCED: |
Deduced from other information |
| DUNC1980: |
Tiffany Windows, Alastair Duncan (1980) |
| EAGLE1907: |
Brooklyn Daily Eagle (13 Dec 1907, p. 4) |
| FINDAGRAVE: |
Findagrave.com, for deducing biographical or genealogical information |
| HIST1924: |
A History of the Hyde Park Baptist Church 1874-1924, Thomas W. Goodspeed (May 1924, p. 66, 91) |
| INSCRIPTION: |
Inscription on item |
| IO1908: |
Daily Inter Ocean (28 Mar 1908, p. 7) |
| MEM1908: |
Memoirs of John Mason Jackson, John Breckenridge Jackson (1908, p. 526) |
| MORSE1917: |
Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art drawing (museum object 90-012) (ca. 1917) |
| NYEP1908: |
New York Evening Post (18 Apr 1908, p. 8) |
| NYO1908: |
The New York Observer (23 Apr 1908, p. 540) |
| ORG: |
Organization |
| PAB1909: |
Palette and Bench, Clara Weaver Parrish (Dec 1909, p. 55-59) |
| PB1908: |
Presbyterian Banner (16 Apr 1908, p. 1494) |
| PHOTO: |
Photo of item |
| STAN1908A: |
The Standard (22 Feb 1908, p. 734) |
| STAN1908B: |
The Standard (28 Mar 1908, p. 870) |
| STAN1908C: |
The Standard (11 Apr 1908, p. 930) |
| TIFF1886: |
Announcement in American Architect and Building News, Tiffany Glass Company (6 Feb 1886) |
| TIFF1893: |
Chicago Exposition booklet, Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company (1893) |
| TIFF1896: |
Memorial Windows, Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company (1896) |
| TIFF1897: |
A List of Windows: And Extracts from Letters & Newspapers, Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company (1897) |
| TIFF1910: |
A Partial List of Tiffany Windows, Tiffany Studios (1910) |
| URUC1908: |
The University Record of the University of Chicago (Apr 1908, p. 163) |
| WEB: |
Some general webpage, e.g. for deducing biographical or genealogical information |