home | site | date | map | rating | photo | designer | category | signature | mosaic | other

Tiffany Census

Fourth Presbyterian Church, Syracuse, New York

Note: the text in the square brackets ([...]) are a short form of references which have been used to deduce the corresponding information.
The meaning of the site and item attributes is explained in the glossary.

Site Id: 3.123.2
Rating: Nothing
Address: Corner of S. Salina Street and Onondaga Street
Location: Syracuse, New York 13202, USA
Lat/Lng: 43.04454, -76.15178
Tiffany 1910: Page 35
Duncan 1980: Page 207
Tiffany 1897: Not listed
Tiffany 1893: Not listed
Tiffany 1886: Not listed
Completeness: High
Building status: Demolished
Building date: 1870-1873 [SJ1936]
Comment: The Fourth Presbyterian congregation merged with First Presbyterian, Syracuse, NY (SITE:3.123.4) in 1941 and the Fourth Presbyterian building was demolished ca. 1943 [SHJ1942, SHJ1943]
Also of interest:

Site Items Candee Memorial Window: Cornelius and Angel (1905) (Removed)


Glossary (of terms) and References (as found in square brackets [...])

Status: Removed [PHOTO]
Confidence: High
Memorial name: Candee Memorial Window
Theme: Cornelius and Angel [TIFF1910, DUNC1980]
Tiffany 1910: Page 35
Duncan 1980: Page 207
Tiffany 1897: Not listed
Other documentation: [SJ1904, SPS1904, SJ1905, SPS1905, SH1905, WEST1905]
Designer: probably Frederick Wilson [TIFF1896, DEDUCED]
Designer comment: Tiffany 1896 credits Wilson as the designer of a similar composition [TIFF1896]
Memorial details: Horace Candee (20 Apr 1828 - 8 May 1901) [INSCRIPTION, SJ1904, SPS1904, SJ1905, SPS1905, SH1905, FINDAGRAVE]
Donor: his wife, Julia A. Ward Candee [SJ1904, SPS1904, SJ1905, SPS1905, SH1905, FINDAGRAVE]
Date: Installed Jan 1905 [SJ1904, SPS1904, SJ1905, SPS1905, SH1905]
Size: each opening about 13' high x 2' wide [SJ1905, SPS1905, SH1905]
Lancets: 2 [PHOTO, SJ1905, SPS1905, SH1905]
Category: Cornelius
Location: middle opening of south side of church [SJ1905, SPS1905, SH1905]
History: Moved to First Presbyterian Church, Syracuse, NY (SITE:3.123.4) [PHOTO, DEDUCED]
Removed from there ca. 2015 [KW2015, DEDUCED]
Currently located in the Gelman Stained Glass Museum, San Juan, TX (SITE:38.15.1) [PHOTO, DEDUCED]
Same as item:;


DEDUCED: Deduced from other information
DUNC1980: Tiffany Windows, Alastair Duncan (1980)
FINDAGRAVE: Findagrave.com, for deducing biographical or genealogical information
INSCRIPTION: Inscription on item
KW2015: Kent Watkins, personal communication (22 Dec 2015)
PHOTO: Photo of item
SH1905: The Syracuse Herald (2 Jan 1905, p. 13)
SHJ1942: Syracuse Herald-Journal (20 Nov 1942, second section, p. 1)
SHJ1943: Syracuse Herald-Journal (20 Apr 1943, p. 6)
SJ1904: The Syracuse Journal (17 Dec 1904, p. 5)
SJ1905: The Syracuse Journal (2 Jan 1905, p. 4)
SJ1936: Syracuse Journal (24 Oct 1936, p. 7)
SPS1904: Syracuse Post-Standard (17 Dec 1904, p. 5)
SPS1905: Syracuse Post-Standard (2 Jan 1905, p. 7)
TIFF1886: Announcement in American Architect and Building News, Tiffany Glass Company (6 Feb 1886)
TIFF1893: Chicago Exposition booklet, Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company (1893)
TIFF1896: Memorial Windows, Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company (1896)
TIFF1897: A List of Windows: And Extracts from Letters & Newspapers, Tiffany Glass & Decorating Company (1897)
TIFF1910: A Partial List of Tiffany Windows, Tiffany Studios (1910)
WEST1905: The Westminster (3 Jun 1905, p. 27)

home | site | date | map | rating | photo | designer | category | signature | mosaic | other