Cambridge 2000: Castle Street: St Giles Church

Description: Castle Street: St Giles Church
Date built: 1875
Architect: T. H. and F. Healey
Castle Street: St Giles Church (T. H. and F. Healey) map for Castle Street: St Giles Church
Date photograph taken: 26 Mar 2000 (Alternative map: Google map)

There was a church on the site already by the end of the 11th century. This was located close to the corner of Castle Street and Chesterton Lane, and was demolished when this replacement church was built in 1875.

This is one of the few pre-1900 churches in Cambridge without a spire or tower, which makes it looks slightly lacking from the outside.

Inside the main attraction is the stained glass. On the north and south sides are over a dozen windows, made by Heaton, Butler and Bayne, and featuring religious worthies. On the east wall behind the altar are three large 1899-1900 windows by Kempe, and there are three more windows by Kempe in the Lady Chapel.

There is also an 1896 rood screen designed and made by Kett.

The cemetery for the church is located further out of town, off of Huntingdon Road.

Other photographs within 100 m: